Jon Bird Prize – Open Competition
The competition is open to artists working in any medium, regardless of age, location or background and at any stage of their career. Each selector on the panel views the artworks anonymously.
Prizes: 25 works will be shortlisted for a group exhibition in October 2018 curated by Linda Fletcher.
The prizewinners of £200 for 1st, £100 for 2nd and £50 for 3rd will be selected from the shortlisted works.
Selector: The selection will be made by an independent judge who is based outside Whitstable.
- A completed online application form with jpegs of artworks. Jpegs to be no more than 1MB.
- An application fee of £10 for each entry or £25 for three entries payable via Paypal Account or Credit/Debit card
- The application form can be found at the bottom of this page.
Monday 7th October 2019: Submission deadline
Friday 11th October 2019: Selected Artists informed.
Tuesday 15th Oct 2019, 4 pm – 6 pm: Drop off artworks for hanging. (If this is difficult there will be someone available to accept the artworks Wednesday 17th Oct from 10am to 1pm latest.)
Saturday 19th October 2019: Prize giving party 6.30pm-8.30pm
Collection of unsold artwork Tuesday 22nd October between 10am and 1.30pm latest. If you cannot meet this deadline please arrange for someone to collect your work on your behalf with proof of identity.
Terms & Conditions:
- Shortlisted work must be ready to hang with d-rings attached 10cms from the top of the picture or, for 3D work ready to display and available for the duration of the exhibition.
- Maximum size for wall-based works is 150cm x 150cm. Sculpture 200cm height x 100cm depth. If a sculpture or 3d work is selected you may need to provide a plinth unless it is standalone.
- The selected artists will be responsible for the costs of delivery of work to the Fishslab Gallery and for their own insurance if they require this.
- We will take the greatest care with your work during the exhibition however the Fishslab cannot be responsible for any damage or injury to third parties.
- All selected artists shall be included in an online catalogue and promotional materials.
- No commission will be taken from any sales from the exhibition.
- Everyone will be informed of the selectors decisions by 11th October via email.
DISCLAIMER: It is essential that the above terms and conditions are read by and followed by applicants as your application may not be able to be processed and submitted to the selection panel. We do not offer refunds under any circumstance.
All revenue raised from this competition will be reinvested into the Fishslab Gallery and aid the community projects that we run. We thank you for your support in entering this competition and wish you all the best of luck.
By participating in the Jon Bird Prize – Open Competition you are agreeing to allow the Fishslab Gallery to retain your personal details (name, contact details) and use these in the future. We will store your details securely and will only ever use them in relation to Fishslab Gallery events – we will never give your details to a third party. If you do not wish to be contacted in the future please email email@example.com using the subject ‘Data consent’ and request that your details are removed